Saturday, March 19, 2005

Report #2: Packed and Ready to Depart for Russia Tomorrow

Ladies and gentlemen:

I’m pleased to bring you the second installment of DW’s and my first journey to Russia. Yesterday you saw the “war room” with everything lying about waiting to be packed. Well, after much editing and pruning, it’s all in the bags in the photo below. Our gear is stowed, weighed, and ready to go tomorrow morning. We leave for O’Hare at approximately 9:00 AM. We got it all packed and DW only once suggested that she might kill me. My first success, and the trip has hardly begun.

It still does not yet feel real yet. Did any of you feel that way on the eve of departure for your first trip? Perhaps it will start to hit me when we check-in at the Аэрофлот counter at JFK tomorrow afternoon?

One more thing to note; the roll above the bag on the left is my coat. It’s rolled up and secured with strips of StrapAll (www.strapall.com). This stuff is great! It comes in a nine foot roll that you can cut to whatever length you want. It sticks to itself like Velcro. It’s like a bungee cord, but lighter, stronger, and more flexible and adaptable. I highly recommend it! I go mine at REI. I’m sure you can get it just about anywhere camping and outdoor supplies are sold.

Stay tuned.